Farnham Town manager Paul Johnson admitted Saturday’s abandoned FA Cup first round qualifying tie at Flackwell Heath was a first for him during his time in football.

Town led 2-1 after 64 minutes when the game was paused after Flackwell Heath’s Matthew Ayres suffered an asthma attack which required medical attention.

Ayres was taken away by ambulance but has since recovered from the incident.

After a lengthy delay the referee invited both teams to warm up ahead of a restart, but the hosts requested the game be abandoned because of player distress.

The match officials agreed to abandon the game.

Dean Rule had volleyed Farnham into the lead in the ninth minute, before Jack Shakespeare equalised on 15 minutes. Shamal Edwards had restored Farnham’s lead in the 25th minute.

“It’s a first for me in football but you have to respect the decision and accept it,” sad Johnson.

“We started the game well and took the lead, but they soon pegged us back.

“Shamal put us back in front and we had chances to kill the game off.

“Then the incident happened and the most important thing is the player is okay.”

Farnham have added to their squad with the addition of striker Adam Liddle from Hayes & Yeading – and Johnson is delighted to get his man.

Liddle came through the ranks at Reading and his former clubs include Chelmsford City, Hungerford Town and Walton Casuals.

“Adam is a superb finisher and he also has an excellent work rate,” said Johnson.

“He’s also from the area so he is that connection with the club – he is another quality addition to the squad.”

Liddle joined Town after forward Lewis Flatman was ruled out for approximately two months with a calf injury. Ricky Wellard is out for a couple of weeks with a hamstring injury and Guy Hollis is out for six to eight weeks.

“Injuries are part and parcel of football and that’s why we’ve got the squad we have to deal with it,” said Johnson.

The rearranged FA Cup tie at Flackwell Heath is being played tonight (Wednesday).

The winners will host Chesham United in the second round qualifying of the FA Cup on Saturday, September 16.