Council warning over ‘killer’ barbecues

By Farnham Herald in Community News

HAMPSHIRE County Council is warning anyone planning to go camping or glamping this summer to “be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

With the school summer holidays and music festivals in full swing, The county is keen to raise awareness of the dangers of breathing in the potentially deadly gas.

Patricia Stallard, executive member for public health, said: “The golden rule is never to use barbecues or any cooking equipment inside tents, or take them into the tent after they have been used. Barbecues give off carbon monoxide gas, which is poisonous.

“It is not a problem in the open air because it is dispersed and concentrations are low, but it can be particularly dangerous in enclosed spaces.

“Camping is great fun, but we want people to be aware of the risks and to keep themselves safe.”

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. It is heavier than air, so builds up at ground level, which is especially dangerous for people who sleep on or close to the ground – for example, when camping in a tent.

The human body can deal with small levels of carbon monoxide, but it takes a long time to clear, so repeated small exposures can accumulate.

The county council’s tips for barbecue safety are:–

• Pitch your tent a safe distance from other tents, leave a few metres between yours and the next tent. Sites often have minimum distance rules so it’s worth asking before you pitch up.

• Ventilation is also important - it refreshes the air that you’re breathing. Don’t be tempted to block the vents.

• Never use cookers or barbarbecues inside a tent. It is a serious fire risk and can be hazardous to anyone inside and in the surrounding area. Some tents have cooking areas, but there will be clear instructions about the precautions you must take.

• Keep children well away from barbecues, other gas appliances and any fires.

More information on avoiding the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) is available on the NHS Choices web pages at www.nhs.uk and search for ‘carbon monoxide poisoning.’

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C